Two postdoctoral positions
at the Center for Astrophysics and Cosmology (University of Nova Gorica)
Center for Astrophysics and Cosmology (University of Nova Gorica)
The University of Nova Gorica invites applications for 2 (two) Postdoctoral Positions in the Center for Astrophysics and Cosmology at the University of Nova Gorica. We offer an inclusive and international research environment, with participation in the Cherenkov Telescope Array consortium and the Rubin Observatory LSST project.
Research topics of the Center for Astrophysics and Cosmology (CAC) at the University of Nova Gorica are focused on astroparticle physics, high-energy astrophysics, and astrophysical transients. We are members of the Cherenkov Telescope Array collaboration (CTA; https://www.cta-observatory.org/) and Vera Rubin Observatory Legacy Survey of Space and Time (LSST; http://lsst.org). We seek applicants who combine (astronomical) software experience with enthusiasm for research in the above mentioned area(s).
The successful candidates will be expected to contribute to:
- the research in high-energy gamma-ray astrophysics and development of the Cherenkov Telescope Array software tools for the analysis, simulation and instrumentation,
- the research in astrophysical transients and development of the software related to the LSST Transients and Variable Stars Science Collaboration.
They will also assume teaching duties at the School of Science and/or School of Engineering and Management of the University of Nova Gorica.
All applicants will be considered for the full-time positions of Research Assistant with a PhD or Assistant Professor, depending on the experience of the candidate. The appointment is initially for one year; an extension for 1 year is expected upon satisfactory scientific performance and availability of funds, with the possibility of tenure track. The appointment is expected to start as soon as possible after the completion of the selection process.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- PhD degree in computer science, physics, astrophysics or astronomy;
- excellent programming and numerical skills including experience with coding in C++, python and other relevant computer languages;
- experience with the unix based systems, distributed computing or high performance computing;
- excellent communication skills, both written and verbal;
- good command of the English language.
The applications, containing the following documents:
- motivation letter;
- curriculum vitae with a description of previous research and work experience;
- list of scientific publications;
- contact details for two references;
should be submitted to the UNG personnel office by E-mail (as a single PDF e-mail attachment) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “UNG CAC 2022 Postdoc”.