Head of the Wits Anglo American Digital Dome
Faculty of Science, University of the Witwatersrand
School of Physics, Faculty of Science, University of the Witwatersrand
The WITS Anglo American Digital Dome (WAADD) formerly the WITS Planetarium is a high-tech, multi-disciplinary digital research and innovation facility hosted by the School of Physics, Faculty of Science, University of the Witwatersrand. The purpose of the Digital Dome is to support the academic projects of teaching, research, innovation, postgraduate training, education, science engagement and community service. The WAADD will serve as a space for digital science exploration and discovery for data-intensive disciplines. The successful candidate will manage the WAADD and will report to the Head of School of Physics who serves as the Chairperson of the Steering Committee of WAADD.
The main responsibilities include:
- Oversee the management and operations of the WAADD
- Supervision of staff in the WAADD
- Marketing of the facility and promotion of public shows
- Administration of Finances for all activities (i.e., research, innovation, postgraduate training, undergraduate teaching, community outreach, and commercial activity)
- Procurement of new equipment / high-performance computing / software
- Management and development of in-house content for digital shows
- Coordination of Calls for Proposals for use of the Digital Dome as a research facility
- Fostering of new postgraduate training opportunities
- Utilisation of the Digital Dome for undergraduate courses
- Communicate effectively with school learners, students, public and media
- Implementation of the Occupational Health and Safety and Environmental Policy
Qualifications, Experience and Remuneration:
A PhD or equivalent qualification with a background in Astronomy/Computer Science/Computer Engineering/Electrical Engineering or Digital Arts with 10 years relevant experience. The successful candidate will be encouraged to produce original scientific research, in data visualization itself and/or use of the digital dome capabilities for visualization of topic area research.
The salary will be commensurate with that of an Associate/Full Professor in the Faculty of Science.
Applications: Submit a cover letter accompanied by a detailed curriculum vitae, certified copies of all educational qualifications and identity document, and the names and email addresses of 3 referees.
To apply: External applicants are invited to apply by registering their profile on the Wits iRecruitment platform located at https://irec.wits.ac.za and submitting applications. Internal applicants are invited to apply directly on Oracle by following the path: iWits /Self Service Applications /”Apply for a job”.
Enquiries: For further information, contact the Head of the School of Physics: Deena.Naidoo@wits.ac.za.
Closing date: Friday, 15 September 2023
The University reserves the right not to make an appointment and continue searching after the closing date and only short- listed candidates will be contacted. “The University is committed to employment equity. Preference will be given to appointable applicants from underrepresented designated groups in terms of the relevant employment equity plan and policies of the university”.
Explore More Events
Career Opportunityat the University of Wisconsin – Madison
Wisconsin IceCube Particle Astrophysics Center (WIPAC)